Located at 8980 MD-108 in Columbia, MD, Sapwood Cellars is a brewery and taproom focused on barrel-aged beers and fresh hoppy ales. Owned and operated by Michael Tonsmeire (author of American Sour Beers) and Scott Janish (author of The New IPA: Scientific Guide to Hop Aroma and Flavor).
Compensation and Benefits
Starting at $45,000+ based on experience.
Simple IRA Retirement Plan with 3% company match.
Job Overview and Opportunities
We are hiring a third full-time brewer as we increase production. The position’s primary focus will be in the brewhouse, assisting in cellar duties, production, and packaging of Sapwood Cellars beers.
- Assist in brewing, cleaning, and maintenance of the brewhouse.
- Aide in the barrel cellar by filling, prepping, blending, and topping up barrels.
- General brewhouse and back-end brewery cleaning/organization.
- Wash kegs (ability to operate a semi-automatic keg washer).
- Tank cleaning and sanitizing.
- Design and prepare variant beers.
- Disassemble, clean, and sanitize various fittings and valves.
- Assist with packaging: bottling, canning, crowlering, and labeling.
- Post-brewing cleanup and brewhouse CIP.
- Assist with inventory management.
- Beer line cleaning.
- Organize cold storage of kegs and cans.
- Must follow all safety procedures when working around potentially hazardous machinery and chemicals.
The Brewer will also provide additional support in the brewhouse and cellar as directed.
- Two years of cellar and/or brewing experience is preferred but not required.
- Advanced understanding of the brewing process.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to work efficiently alongside all members of the brewing team.
- Appreciation for and desire to learn more about the craft beer industry.
- Ability to strictly follow detailed directions and procedures.
- Comfortable working with potentially dangerous chemicals.
- Good organizational skills.
- Forklift certification and a degree or certification in a professional brewing program are a plus.
- Ability to move up to 1600 pounds via a pallet-stacker or pallet jack.
- Ability to lift 60+ pounds.
- Willingness to work in wet, hot, and loud conditions.
The time required for the position is 80 hours biweekly; pay is dependent on experience.
Email resume to email@example.com by November 6th