Hey, folks, it’s your friendly neighborhood Sapwood Cellars’ Taproom Manager with some good news:
We are looking to open the last weekend in September (tentatively the 27th) and so we’ll need, excited, hard-working individuals to work right alongside myself pouring the beers Mike and Scott have been working hard on! I’ll admit it’s a rather atypical scenario to what I’m used to on this side of the bar as we are currently looking to be open only Thursday and Friday nights, Saturday all day, and expanding into Sundays after the County License goes through or maybe just for growler fills. Of course, there will be other days where we will be showing at festivals, eventually doing private events, and there will be days when we just need get our hands dirty and bottle beers or prepare fruit additions for delicious wild ales! I want this to be an environment where people love coming, of course, to have delicious beer, but also to work. We are looking to offer well above Maryland state tipped minimum wage and of course your share of the shift’s tips, as well as some brew related perks that should come with working at a brewery! The goal is to create an environment where you want to be here, not that we need you to be here. This means if you need time off, take it. If you get sick, stay home, we’ve got this. And most importantly, I understand that no one wants to work all weekend every weekend, believe me, I’ve done it for most of the last 10 years, I know. But there is an opportunity here. We will grow, roles will expand, and there will be adapting we all need to do as time passes and scenarios present themselves.
What would make you or someone you know successful here? I don’t see one type or qualification specifically (though you do have to be at least 21), we all have our strengths and bring something different to the table. Passionate, enthusiastic, and hardworking certainly aren’t attributes exclusive to any field though some experience in customer service or service industry experience have direct overlap. Mostly I’m looking for people that want to be here and can help me foster a positive environment for our guests, community, and other employees. If you or someone you know is interested in exploring employment at Sapwood Cellars please check out the more detailed job description below. We are also looking to hold open interviews at the brewery at a date to be determined. to get a better sense of the space and commute to see if Sapwood Cellars might be a fit for you! Thank you for dealing with my long-windedness and I really look forward to hearing from all of you!
Bartender for the Sapwood Taproom
Sapwood Cellars is hiring Bartenders to join our fun! Our brewery and taproom is located in Columbia MD and our new home is 3,500 square feet with a fire code capacity of 226. This is an amazing opportunity to join a brewery and bring your expertise into the world of craft beer!
Our ideal candidate will play an integral role in ensuring our guests have exceptional experiences. This individual will be passionate about our guest’s enjoyment, and thoroughly enjoy creating their excellent experience. The ideal candidate will have a friendly, outgoing disposition, and previous experience interacting with human beings in a fast-paced, sometimes stressful, setting.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist customers in their beer selections by effectively communicating information about our beer styles and brewing process
- Anticipate guests’ service needs, including asking questions of guests to better understand their needs and watching/listening to guest preferences and acting on them whenever possible
- Address guests’ service needs in a professional, positive, and timely manner
- Effectively understand our products and methodology to be able to make recommendations to guests
- Serve pours in accordance with Sapwood’s quality standards
- Operate and troubleshoot draft equipment and move and change kegs as necessary
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of bar area
- Open and close according to Sapwood’s opening and closing procedures
- Assist during private events and special releases as necessary
Additional duties may be assigned as necessary.
Desired Qualifications & Abilities
- Customer Service experience preferred
- Minimum 21 years of age
- Alcohol service qualification a plus, must be willing to participate in a training course through the brewery should we put one together for responsible alcohol service
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A curiosity for craft beer and knowledge about the brewing process is a bonus. YOU DO NOT NEED TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CRAFT BEER, BUT YOU MUST BE WILLING TO LEARN
- Willing to work a flexible schedule including nights and holidays.
- Follow appropriate procedures for serving alcohol (e.g., TIPs (Training for Intervention Procedures).
- Ability to work in a high energy, fast-paced environment.
- Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift. Move up and down stairs and/or service ramps.
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 25 pounds without assistance and objects weighing in excess of 50 pounds with assistance.
Tipped compensation will be well above Maryland average tipped minimum wage as well as perks associated with employment at a brewery!